Experienced Kerrville Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Determined legal representation in Texas biker injury cases
Motorcycle riding can be a fun and exhilarating form of transportation, but it is also one of the most dangerous. Since drivers and passengers lack the protections offered by cars and trucks, they suffer serious injuries and fatalities at higher rate. From the high speeds of I-10 to the winding roads through Texas Hill Country, roads around Kerrville can be especially hazardous to motorcyclists. When a crash occurs, you need a Kerrville motorcycle accident attorney with the skills and resources to help you obtain the compensation you deserve. At the Law Firm of Richard L. Ellison, P.C., I put my nearly four decades of experience to work in championing the rights of injured clients.
Assessing causes and responsibilities in motorcycle accidents
Motorcycle mishaps can result from collisions with other vehicles or from hazardous road conditions, including inclement weather and obstructions due to road maintenance. Collisions can be the fault of one or more of the drivers involved, and very often the liability is shared. Car and truck drivers who collide with motorcycles are often:
- Distracted by phoning, texting or using other handheld devices
- Careless in changing lanes, making turns or minding speeds
- Driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Inattentive to slick or icy roads and their effect on vehicles’ maneuverability
Texas follows a rule of modified comparative negligence, which means you can recover damages for your injuries if you are not more than 50 percent at fault for the accident. However, your recovery will be reduced in proportion to your negligence. I will fight for your right to fair compensation from the parties that bear the principal responsibility.
Common injuries suffered in motorcycle accidents
Even with a helmet, a motorcyclist has very little protection from bodily injury in an impact with other vehicles, objects and the roadway itself. Common types of injuries are:
- Fractures — When a motorcyclist is knocked or thrown to the ground or is hit by another vehicle, the impact can easily break an arm, leg or ribs.
- Head injuries—A concussion or other traumatic brain injury (TBI) can result from an accident, even if the driver is wearing a helmet.
- Spinal injury and paralysis — Twisting or crushing of the neck or back during a crash can damage or sever the spinal cord, resulting in full or partial paralysis.
- Skin damage — Without protective clothing, a rider’s skin is exposed to friction as it slides across the road, which can cause burns, deep abrasions and sometimes flaying of the skin. Devastating infections can also result.
Motorcycle accidents often result in very serious injuries requiring long term care and recovery. As a qualified personal injury attorney with nearly 40 years of experience, I can assess the seriousness of your motorcycle accident and pursue all responsible parties for fair compensation.
Recoverable damages in Texas motorcycle accidents
The same types of damages recoverable in car accident cases are available for victims of motorcycle accidents, including medical expenses, lost wages and rehabilitation costs. You may also be entitled to damages for pain and suffering and for permanent debilitating injuries, such as loss of vision or of a body part. Texas does not place any limit on the amount of provable damages you can recover. Punitive damages may also be awarded in cases of gross negligence or wanton willful conduct by a defendant.
Contact an aggressive motorcycle accident attorney in Kerrville, TX
If you have been injured in a motorcycle crash, discuss your options with an experienced personal injury attorney. I understand how to maximize damages for motorcycle accident victims. Call the Law Firm of Richard L. Ellison, P.C. at 830-955-8168 for an appointment or contact my Kerrville office online.