Aggressive DWI Attorney in Kerrville, TX Fights for Your Rights
Dedicated protection for your license, liberty, and livelihood
If you’ve been arrested for drunk driving in Kerrville or elsewhere in the Hill Country, you face aggressive prosecution and stiff penalties. A conviction can result in jail time, fines and fees, license suspension, and higher insurance premiums. The damage to your reputation can also negatively impact your personal relationships and your career. Driving while intoxicated (DWI) is not a typical moving violation. It is a serious charge with serious consequences. You should entrust your case only to an attorney with expertise in criminal defense work, expertise such as I offer at the Law Firm of Richard L. Ellison, P.C. I am one of very few Texas attorneys who are board-certified for criminal defense. I have more than 35 years of experience protecting accused parties in the Kerrville area from aggressive prosecution and delivering positive results.
Penalties for DWI convictions in Texas
Under Texas law, driving while intoxicated means operating a vehicle with an illegally high level of blood alcohol concentration (BAC). The legal limit depends on the driver’s circumstances:
- Adults 21 years of age and older — BAC of 0.08 percent and over
- Commercial drivers — BAC of 0.04 percent and over
- Drivers under 21 years of age — Any discernible alcohol level
It is also possible to be convicted with a lesser BAC level if you are obviously impaired. A BAC of 0.15 or more is charged as an extreme DWI, with harsher potential penalties.
Penalties for a DWI conviction depend on the driver’s age, BAC level and prior convictions, as well as whether facts exist to charge an aggravated DWI. The following penalties apply to adult drivers convicted of a standard DWI:
- First offense — A maximum $2,000 fine, jail time between three and 180 days, license suspension for up to two years, annual license surcharge up to $2,000 for three years, completion of a DWI intervention or education program, possible order to install an ignition interlock device.
- Second offense — A maximum $4,000 fine, jail time between one month and one year, license suspension up to two years, annual license surcharge up to $2,000 for three years, completion of a DWI intervention or education program, possible order to install an ignition interlock device.
- Third offense — A maximum $10,000 fine, state prison term of two to 10 years, license suspension up to two years, annual license surcharge up to $2,000 for three years, completion of a DWI intervention or education program, possible order to install an ignition interlock device.
If you are arrested and you refuse a chemical test for BAC, you also face a separate administrative loss of license, even if you are not convicted of the DWI charge.
Fighting DWI charges in Kerrville, TX
If you’ve been arrested for DWI, it’s important to appreciate the weight of the charges against you and do what is necessary to protect yourself. That starts with hiring the best attorney available. There are many ways a skilled criminal defense lawyer can help you fight DWI charges, including:
- Challenging the traffic stop
- Challenging police procedure during the stop
- Challenging the accuracy of your BAC test
- Challenging the admissibility of BAC test results
If the prosecution is unable to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt, they can’t convict you. But even if the facts are against you, I can help you get a better result than you might otherwise obtain. Texas law does not allow prosecutors to plea bargain a DWI charge down to one not involving alcohol, such as reckless driving, but there is wide latitude in negotiating sentences. I have been successful in getting lenient sentences, especially for first-time offenders. I have also been able to get clients a restricted license to drive to work or school during the suspension period.
With so much riding on your case, you can’t afford not to retain the best defense attorney you can find.
Contact a board-certified criminal defense lawyer to fight your DWI charges in Kerrville
A conviction for DWI can land you in jail, cost you a small fortune, hurt your reputation, and damage your career. If you have been arrested, trust the Law Firm of Richard L. Ellison, P.C. to provide a formidable defense that protects your rights. To schedule a free consultation, call 844-337-5819 or contact my Kerrville office online.
“My wife hired Mr. Ellison to represent her and we couldn’t be happier with the results! Kind, caring and compassionate. Professional and “on-point”. He is the best attorney that we have ever had. Do not hesitate to hire him.”
-Stephen C. ★★★★★
“… He was professional, calm, and resolute. He was precise, did what was necessary in a timely manner, and respectfully kept our costs to a minimum. He wants justice for his clients. Even though I am in Houston, I will call on him again if I ever need legal assistance. I highly recommend Richard Ellison.”
-Teresa W. ★★★★★
“Stunning professional services!”
-Joseph R. ★★★★★